Sunday, September 9, 2012

Totem and Sun

This pinhole was taken with the Holga attached to a Manfrotto tripod.  This particular tripod lets you get the camera no more than 6 inches off the ground by rotating the central column 90 degrees horizontal and then have the legs spred nearly flat.

In this orientation I tilted the camera nearly straight up and brought the body within 6 inches of the bottom of the totem.  The depth of field of the pinhole is remarkable.

This is a carving of a Saint (Francis?).  Might be 12 feet tall.
I like how the full sun is diffracted by the pinhole.  Who says you can't take pictures of stars with a pinhole camera!

Totem and Sun
Holga 120-WPC pinhole camera, taken near Abiquiu, New Mexico Aug. 2012
120 film, approx 3.5 sec exposure (manual Bulb - I estimated by counting)
negative scanned and processed in Lightroom 3.6
thanks to my friend Dan who helped me scan all my film and photopaper pinhole images!

2 comments:

  1. I just love the diffraction pattern of the sun. I guess it's caused by the tiniest imperfections in the shape of the pinhole.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, really amazing. It would be neat to experiment with making defects of controlled size and shape. Given the sizes involved it would probably need to be done via a lithographic/etch process. Hmmmm. I know they make laser drilled holes for mass produced pinholes - litho would allow for nearly perfect apertures even smaller. The exposure times would be super long ... I wonder what the practical limit is factoring in diffraction effects.

    ReplyDelete